Canon XF100 Camcorder
Canon's XF105 HD Professional Camcorder is a compact, fully featured handheld video camera that imports nearly all the features and functionality of the 3-chip XF305 into a smaller, single sensor form factor.
- Canon XF100 HD Professional Camcorder
- Lens Hood
- BP-925 Battery
- CA-930 Compact Power Adapter
- DC Cable
- WL-D6000 Wireless Controller
- Microphone Holder
- Shoulder Strap
- Component Cable
- Utilities Disk
Canon's XF105 HD Professional Camcorder is a compact, fully featured handheld video camera that imports nearly all the features and functionality of the 3-chip XF305 into a smaller, single sensor form factor. Its 1/3" CMOS sensor and DIGIC DV III image processor combine to support 1920 x 1080 resolution video at 24p, 30p, or 60i, which is recorded to Compact Flash cards using Canon's XF Codec (MPEG-2 4:2:2) at bit rates up to 50 Mbps. The camcorder is equipped with a newly developed Canon 10x HD video lens that provides a 35mm-equivalent zoom range of of 30.4 to 304mm.
Other key features of the XF105 include infrared recording and--when used in combination with another XF105 or XF100--3D stereoscopic capability. The combination of professional image quality, manual controls, and portability makes the XF105 the ideal tool for a wide range of applications, including ENG, travel documentaries, indie features, and event videography. The camera also has HD/SD-SDI output, genlock, and SMPTE timecode terminals, widening its range of uses to live and multi-camera productions.
Canon Native 1920 x 1080 CMOS Image Sensor
- Newly designed and manufactured exclusively by Canon, the XF105 incorporates a native 1/3", 1920 x 1080 CMOS image sensor, delivering superb Full HD video recording with minimal noise. Slow and fast motion shooting are supported for greater flexibility in creative choice.
Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor
- The XF105 features Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor, which provides enhanced shading, lifelike tonal gradations, new custom picture settings, and lower power consumption. DIGIC DV III is also the high-speed engine which powers Genuine Canon Face Detection. On-the-go videographers will appreciate the ability to track one subject in a crowd of people.
Multiple Bit Rates, Resolution, and Frame Rates
- Multiple recording modes, resolutions, and frame rates make the XF105 creatively flexible and able to work in virtually any production environment. From the highest quality 50 Mbps Full HD to the HDV compatible 25Mbps, users will find the camcorder capable of taking on any job. The camcorder supports 1920 x 1080 resolution video at 24p, 30p, and 60i, as well as 1280 x 720 video at 24p, 30p, and 60p.
MPEG-2 4:2:2 50Mbps Codec (Canon XF Codec)
- Canon's XF Codec is an adaptation of MPEG-2 for wide compatibility with existing industry infrastructure and non-linear editing (NLE) systems. The XF105 supports Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution at bit rate up to 50 Mbps with 4:2:2 color sampling.
- The XF105 uses Material Exchange Format (MXF) for its file structure--an internationally standardized container format for the exchange of video and audio material. Using the MXF format, video, and audio can be wrapped into a single file along with important metadata. With MXF, the XF105 will not only benefit from a high level of compatibility with NLE systems but also with high-end network systems used by many networks and production studios.
4:2:2 Color Sampling
- 4:2:2 color sampling provides twice the color resolution of HDV and other codecs that use 4:2:0 color sampling. 4:2:2 provides ultra-fine transitions in tone and color and maintains the highest quality image for use in post production processes such as chroma keying, color grading, advanced compositing and effects.
Record to Compact Flash Cards
- The XF105 records to cost-effective and readily available Compact Flash (CF) cards. The camcorder features two CF card slots and offers versatile recording functions including relay recording, hot swapping, file copy & backup, and pre-record.
File-based recording facilitates workflow by reducing transfer times when moving video to nonlinear editing (NLE) systems. Additionally, metadata can be input at image acquisition, and imagery may be reviewed immediately after recording to ensure every shot is captured and logged correctly.
Genuine Canon 10x HD Lens
- The XF105's utilizes a genuine Canon 10x zoom lens that delivers flexibility in image capture with a zoom range of 30.4 to 304mm (35mm equivalent). Power zoom is available in Constant and Variable settings in 3 modes: Fast (approx. 1.9 - 60 seconds), Normal (approx. 3.0 - 180 seconds) and Slow (approx. 4.0 - 285 seconds).
HD-SDI Output, Genlock & SMPTE Timecode
- Aside from providing the professional user with complete control over the image, the Canon XF105 also provides complete creative freedom when it comes to inputs and outputs. It features industry standard HD-SDI output and a genlock/time code terminal (BNC style), making it suitable for multi-camera or 3D productions. Other inputs include:
- HDMI Output
- Component Video Output
- Composite Video Output (3.5mm Terminal)
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Terminal
- Remote Control Terminal (compatible with LANC protocol)
Built-In 3D Assist Features
- The XF105 has the ability to be paired with another XF105 or XF100 camcorder to provide true stereoscopic 3D recording. It offers several features to assist with 3-D production including OIS Lens Shift to aid in optically aligning the two camcorders. A focal length guide displays the zoom position of each camera in relation to each other and calibrates the zoom distance.
The XF105's compact size provides an alternative to large 3D rigs allowing 3D crews to work more quickly and efficiently, while providing the features to capture high-quality 3D imagery.
- The XF105 features an Infrared Mode allowing users to capture video in conditions with little to no ambient light, a situation which would make other camcorders useless. During infrared capture, the infrared cutoff filter is removed from the optical path. Combined with a specially designed lens coating, infrared light is able to pass through to the image sensor. Additionally, the XF105 features an infrared emitter with a diffuser to shoot pleasing infrared imagery even in complete darkness.
- The XF105 is designed as an ultra-compact camcorder without compromising on features and usability. Its small size makes this camcorder ideal in situations where every inch and ounce count, such as flying to location or going on expedition. It offers amazing image quality yet can be carried in a backpack, making the XF105 the ready to go nearly anywhere.
Neutral Density Filter
- For enhanced versatility, the XF105 offers a built-in gradation type neutral density (ND) filter (approximately 1/8).
SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer
- The XF105 also incorporates a newly designed SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization system (lens shift) with three modes: Standard, Dynamic and Powered.
- When shooting high definition video, sharp focus becomes more critical than ever. Canon's proprietary Instant AF system combines an external AF sensor with Canon's legendary auto focus system for fast and accurate focus. Together, the two sensors reduce focusing time--even in low-light, low contrast, or high brightness situations--and improve focusing performance on difficult subjects.
- In contrast to a typical 6-blade iris, the XF105's 8-blade iris captures extraordinarily smooth out-of-focus "bokeh" for a more attractive image effect. The additional blades also reduce diffraction of light passing through the iris, allowing for the use of smaller apertures while maintaining image quality.
- The Digital Teleconverter extends the reach of the optical zoom, and is selectable by 1.5x, 3x and 6x. This feature is ideal when extreme telephoto shooting is needed such as in sports and wildlife, as well as, surveillance applications for law enforcement and the military.
Slow Motion & Fast Motion
- Slow and Fast Motion Modes allow the XF105 to record a different frame rate than the playback frame rate, resulting in either a fast or slow motion effect during playback. Since the camera is recording real frames and modifying the playback rate, there is no quality loss and maximum image quality is maintained.
- With this feature, users can program the camera to record a specified number of frames at specified intervals. The technique can be used to observe natural phenomena over extended periods, making it ideal for time-lapse applications. The interval can be set in 25 levels ranging from 1 second to 10 minutes. Frame recording is also possible, allowing a specified number of frames to be recorded--ideal for projects such as clay animation.
3.5" 920K Dot LCD Monitor
- A 3.5", 920,000 Dot LCD monitor provides an ample, accurate area for critical focus confirmation and approximately 100% field of view. The display opens on the left side of the camera body.
260K Dot Electronic Viewfinder
- The XF105 features a 0.24", 260,000 Dot Color EVF and approximately 100% field of view coverage for comfortable viewing and accurate judgment of composition. Brightness, contrast, color and backlight are adjustable. The angle of the viewfinder is adjustable up and down through 68° for additional user comfort and when using the LCD display for monitoring.
Focus Assist Functions
- With Canon's new Edge Monitor Focus Assist system, a red and green monitor is shown at the bottom of the LCD display and three red focus check areas are shown across the display. The green waveform shows overall focus of the image, while the red waveform shows the focus status of the focus check boxes. Through this dynamic focus feedback, the user can intuitively tune focus in a scene and quickly change the zone of focus.
- Two peaking modes and a magnify focus assist function are available in standby and record mode (LCD monitor and EVF), making it extremely easy for the XF105 operator to check and confirm critical focus.
- Users of the XF105 Professional Camcorder have full manual control of all camera functions to adapt to both technical and artistic challenges when shooting. For maximum customization, users have access to Custom Picture Settings, Custom Functions, and Custom Display Options to tailor the camera to their creative and production needs. Any combination of these items can be saved to an SD memory card for easy setup and matching of multiple XF105 and XF100 camcorders.
Custom Picture Settings
- You can manually set an extensive variety of image quality adjustments and store them as 9 different presets in the camera. Up to 20 may be saved to an SD card. The adjustments include: Gamma, Black Level, Black Gamma, Low Key Saturation, Knee, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, Skin Detail, Selective Noise Reduction, Color Matrix, White Balance, Color Correction, and Setup Level.
- The XF105's operation can be further fine-tuned through the use of Custom Functions. This allows the camcorder to truly match your shooting style. A total of 15 unique items can be adjusted including: Shockless Gain, Shockless White Balance, AE Response, Iris Limit, Iris Ring Direction, Focus Ring Control and Character Record. And for quick access to commonly used functions, the XF105 features 10 customizable control buttons.
- The Custom Display function lets you set 32 display items to create a custom LCD/EVF to suit your specific needs. Items that can be selected include: Zoom Position, Audio Level, Remaining Record Time, Exposure, Object Distance, Time Code, and more.
- A stereo microphone is incorporated into the XF105, as are two XLR audio inputs with +48V phantom power and a 3.5mm microphone input terminal. The built-in microphone provides exceptional audio in fast-paced situations while the XLR inputs and microphone input terminal provide connectivity to external microphones. In addition the XLR inputs allow the use of other professional audio devices. The built-in microphone and an external microphone can be used simultaneously.
Audio is recorded in 16-bit PCM format at 48kHz for amazing quality and fidelity. And both the built-in microphone and XLR inputs have the option for automatic or full manual gain control. To prevent variations in the recorded audio level, the dial can also be locked.
- Videographers depend on this feature to confirm accurate exposure and color levels during the capture process. Typically only found on expensive external monitors, the Canon XF105 has a waveform monitor built right into the camera. The waveform monitor shows a detailed view of overall image brightness and RGB components.
Intelligent Battery System
- The XF105 is compatible with Canon's BP-925, BP-955, and BP-975 Intelligent Lithium-ion batteries. These batteries communicate remaining running time (down to the minute) and send data back to the camcorder, so the user is well-informed at all times. On the outside of the battery, four LED lamps allow battery life to be viewed quickly when in the field. The camcorder is also compatible with existing Canon BP-900 series batteries--which can be inserted and removed while the supplied AC power cable is connected.
Color Bars with Reference Tone
- Two types of color bars can be selected: Type 1 (SMPTE compliant) or
- Type 2 (ARIB compliant); 1 kHz Reference Tone: -12dB, -18dB, 20dB or OFF
- For applications such as storyboarding, continuity, and publicity shots, the XF105 offers the ability to capture 1920 x 1080 still images. Photos may be captured to an SD memory card during the time of recording, as well as "frame grabbed" during playback.
Bundled Canon XF Utility Software
- Compatible for use on both Mac and Windows platforms, Canon's XF Utility software provides a simplified first step in the process of managing and playing back your clips. Additionally, the software can manage lists of clips in a number of display formats, as well as tag, add and edit metadata. It also serves as an efficient means of backing up media.